EYFS: ages 3 to 5
All children in the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) follow a statutory framework.
These are some of the things the children in nursery and reception will be doing:
- Counting up to 20 objects
- Saying and using the number names in order
- Finding one more or less than a number up to 20
- Starting to use the language of addition and subtraction; counting on and back
- Sorting and matching objects and shapes
- Comparing quantities and shapes
- Finding and recreating simple patterns
- Beginning to do some simple measuring, comparing lengths and quantities
- Talking about things like size, weight, distance, time and money to develop correct vocabulary.
Assessment and progress in EYFS
Class teachers will be regularly assessing your child’s progress through observations and simple activities. Adults will collect together examples of your child’s work in a folder which you can see at some of the parent meetings. Some of this profile will include maths.
It is important to have regular and informal chats with your child’s teacher, as you drop off/collect for example, as well as at our termly parents’ meetings. If you are not sure what your child should be practising at home, please ask your child’s class teacher.